MEMC, based in St. Peters, Missouri, is a global leader in the semiconductor and solar industries.MEMC’s Semiconductor Materials business manufactures wafers and related products that form the building blocks of the $1 trillion electronics market. The company’s Solar Energy business is a widely recognized leader in the development of solar power projects and is a leading solar energy services provider. MEMC, founded in 1959, employs approximately 6,000 people worldwide and recorded sales of $2.7 billion in 2011. MEMC’s stock is traded on the New York Stock Exchange under the symbol ‘WFR’.
MEMC operates two business units: Semiconductor Materials and Solar Energy.
Silicon wafers are the foundation upon which semiconductor devices are built. Semiconductor devices in turn supply the intelligence in all electronic devices from computers to smart phones, TVs, gaming devices, music players, appliances and satellites. MEMC’s 50-year track record of innovation adds value for semiconductor device makers, helping them reduce costs while improving the devices they build by increasing memory, performing faster or extending battery life. Funding these advancements and next generation technologies requires a vision for the future, financial strength and asset-efficient strategies. This has helped us achieve and maintain our leading position in a semiconductor market that has seen a reduction in competition from dozens of companies before 1990 to about six today.
Solar Energy (SunEdison)
With more than 50 years of silicon experience and integrated manufacturing capabilities including polysilicon, solar wafers and solar modules, MEMC is uniquely positioned to help increase the prevalence of solar technology around the world. MEMC’s focus on proprietary technology development and production efficiencies, are aimed at helping customers achieve grid parity and making solar energy cost competitive without government subsidies.
Corporations, government agencies and utilities around the world have become increasingly interested in generating solar energy on their roof or other property. SunEdison designs, installs, finances, operates, monitors and maintains such distributed solar power plants for its customers. The customer then purchases the electricity at predictable, competitive prices over a fixed time period. SunEdison’s proprietary Client Connect software gives customers full visibility into the performance of their solar power plants, including electricity production, energy costs and savings, and environmental attributes. Through 2011, SunEdison has installed over 580 power plants for customers worldwide.
Positioned to Lead
- Integrated polysilicon, semiconductor wafer and solar wafer provider
- Develop, finance, install and operate solar power plants, delivering fully managed, and predictably priced solar energy services
- Established and growing customer relationships in over 30 countries around the world
- Extensive intellectual property portfolio with approximately 700 worldwide patents and 430 applications on file
- First large-volume manufacturer of Fluidized Bed or “granular” polysilicon
- Competitive cost structure with further improvements targeted
- Global manufacturing, sales and service footprint makes MEMC a “local” supplier to our customers
- One of only four major suppliers of semiconductor wafers and a proven supplier to the solar industry
- Balanced market position provides stability and growth
GLOBAL SALES AND MANUFACTURING